Your family physician is a very important source of health information
and advice. Part of that advice should include discussion on how
physical activity can benefit your health and, in fact, prevent
the onset of many diseases.
In motion is working with physicians to use a program called
PACE Canada (physician-based assessment and counseling on exercise). This provides family
physicians the tools to assist them in "prescribing" physical activity to their patients.
How does it work?
- patient will receive a simple self assessment questionaire on
their current level of physical activity to complete while waiting
to see their doctor
- doctor will review the self assessment and discuss with the
patient what their physical activity goal will be
- doctor will prescibe a physical activity goal for the patient
to work towards
- patient will receive a "Just what the doctor ordered" brochure
to help them connect to physical activity programs in the community
- doctor will follow up with patient on their physical activity
goal at their next visit
There are many physicians currently working with in motion to promote
physical activity for health benefits. Ask your doctor if they are
partnering with in motion! If you are a family physician and would
like more information about PACE, please contact
us or check out the PACE
Canada web site.